Sunday, May 15, 2022

 

FIFTH SUNDAY OF EASTER

15 MAY 2022

 

          Jesus speaks these words to his disciples at the Last Supper.  He has already shown them what authentic love looks like.  He had washed their feet.  He humbled himself to do an unsavory task reserved for servants or slaves.  Now Judas leaves the room.  Jesus prepares them to see the fullness of his love – his total gift of self on the cross.  God’s love had become human through the Incarnation of Jesus.  He calls his commandment to love “new.”  It is new in the sense that love is rooted in the offering of one’s life for others.

            We know from our experience that this kind of love always involves sacrifice.  It always involves a dying to self.  Jesus gives this new commandment to us during the Easter Season, because he wants to reinforce our trust that we can share in his rising when we share in his dying.  Parents understand this dynamic very well.  How many times have you made sacrifices for your children, only to see those acts of dying translated into new life that is transformative?

            This Sunday, we renew our stewardship of service at Saint Pius.  Before the pandemic, we were known as a parish offering many services.  We were able to welcome those who came to seek our help.  We were able to serve the needs of our parish community.  We were able to serve the vulnerable, the poor, and the needy.  Our tradition of serving took a huge hit with the pandemic.  We have struggled to resume the pre-pandemic level of service.  Please read the materials we send and look at the many opportunities to serve.  You might consider renewing a commitment that existed before the pandemic.  Or you might consider offering yourself to serve for the first time.  If people step forward to serve for the first time, then we might see one of the silver linings of the pandemic.  You expect me to say all of this.  But listen to Lindsay Will, as she shares her story of embracing the stewardship of service.  Even with the demands of a very young family, she has found ways to serve.

 

Thank you, Fr. Bill. My husband, Tim, and I have been parishioners here for just over 8 years. We have 5 children and the oldest four attend St. Pius School.

 

When Father Bill first asked me to give this talk about stewardship of service, I immediately thought of this seemingly insignificant little wooden box that sits on a shelf in our kitchen. In tiny white text the words, “Your life is not about you” are printed on this black box. It was actually gifted to my service-minded and inspirational husband and has been a guiding force in our decisions as family. It’s a gentle nudge in the right direction as I strive to make my life one long thank you note to God in gratitude for the many ways He has blessed my life. Most importantly, this saying has been a reminder of our Christian call to serve with the gifts God has placed in our hearts.

 

My stewardship journey started small and slow when we first moved here as I was figuring out how to be a mom of two under two and we were finding our way in this wonderfully large parish. Honestly, as the kids got older and more involved, I just started saying yes in spaces I thought I might have a gift to share. As our family continued to grow, and time seemed to evaporate, stewardship became about fitting it in where the whole family could be involved, the children could help and saying yes even when I wasn’t quite sure. Today service is a large part of our very full lives. 

 

For most of my life, I have resonated with the familiar thoughts around service- “the more you give, the more you receive”, the natural joy and fulfillment that comes from helping others,

And, on some levels, I have felt like I might become a little more “holy”, perhaps Saint-like, if I take on more service opportunities. Well I’m grateful for the How to Holiness retreat St. Pius offered in March to reframe my thinking. I learned that holiness isn’t about doing more holy things; holiness is actually about a relationship with God and recognition of your own weakness and limitations. Holiness is where you leave space for God to fill in. When God is able to fill those gaps, you can reflect a little more of His light in your actions and service.

 

Our parish is so rich with generous, faithful stewards that have inspired and motivated me over the years to get more involved. This weekend is about renewing your commitment to stewardship of service. What gifts do you have to share that are going untapped? Or maybe I should ask, what can you say yes to, even if you feel there is limitation or weakness, in order to grow in holiness?

 

I’ll close with one last story- Before the arrival of our fifth child last year, I did a little demonstration for the first four children in order to make concrete the idea that even with the arrival of a new life in our family, my God-given love for them will only grow. So with a series of candles lined up I lit the first one to show how when we got married, Dad had all my love, which was represented by the flame. When our first child was born, I lit the second candle, using the first; to show that Dad still had all my love and now so did James. And then I lit another candle for June, another candle for Jonathan, another candle for JT, and another candle for Jack. They could clearly see that no one’s candle flame of love dimmed as they were subsequently lit. In fact, they glowed even brighter. I think the same can go for stewardship. With a holy recognition that God will do His work in our weakness, in saying yes to serving others, His love can actually glow brighter through you, because, after all, your life is not about you.

 

Thank you and God bless you in your discernment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment