Saturday, February 29, 2020


FIRST SUNDAY OF LENT
1 MARCH 2020

          The first two chapters of Genesis make it clear that the world God created was filled with peace, harmony, and perfect order.  God had given everything to our first parents, including free access to every tree, except for one:  the tree in the middle of the garden.  Satan took advantage of this one prohibition and told Eve that God could not be trusted.  God was withholding something from them.  Eve saw that the fruit was good for food, pleasing to the eyes, and desirable for gaining wisdom.  Both she and Adam fell for Satan’s lies and committed the original sin:  the sin of pride.  They saw themselves as creators, not as God’s beloved children.
            Today, the Spirit leads Jesus into the desert to be tested.  Satan tries to convince Jesus that God cannot be trusted.  He tempts Jesus to turn stone into bread to satisfy his physical cravings.  Jesus refuses, trusting that his Father will provide for all his needs.  Next, Satan tempts Jesus to throw himself off the parapet of the Temple as a showy demonstration of his power.  Jesus refuses to put God to the test.  Finally, Satan takes Jesus to a high mountain and promises to give him all the kingdoms of the world if he would worship him.  Jesus refuses to accept this shortcut to attain a glory that will pass away.  He trusts in the power of the Spirit to raise him to new life.  He trusts that his passion and death on the cross will end in everlasting glory.
            Satan does the same with us.  Satan constantly tempts us to satisfy our bodily needs in any way we choose.  Satan tempts us to believe that we can only be happy if we purchase lots of stuff.  Satan tempts us to keep up with our neighbors in order for success.  Satan tempts us to put ourselves and our priorities first, before the needs of anyone else. That is why the Spirit has led us into this desert of Lent.  We are God’s sons and daughters.  Through the disciplines of prayer, fasting, and almsgiving, we join Jesus in the desert to strengthen our wills to resist Satan’s lies.
            One of Satan’s lies has to do with generosity.  Satan wants us to believe that we have earned our treasure and must keep it for ourselves. Satan wants us to believe that God cannot be trusted.  He argues that putting aside a generous first portion will keep us from meeting our own needs.  To be perfectly honest, Satan had me convinced for my first ten years as a priest.  I had given everything to the Church.  Why should I give any money?  I didn’t have much anyway!  But, when I became pastor for the first time, it finally occurred to me that I needed to do what I was urging my parishioners to do.  So, I set aside 1% of my income.  Every year, I took another step in faith and committed myself to giving a little more.  To my amazement, the Lord continued to provide for me, even when I started making intentional and more sacrificial gifts.
            As a parish, we have been taking similar steps in sharing a portion of our income with those in need.  We tithe 5% to our sister parish of Saint Adalbert and another 3 ½ % to those who come to us asking for help.  In the last few years, we could not take another step in increasing our tithe, because we were in the midst of a capital campaign.  But, we continued to trust that God would provide and did not reduce it.  We hope to reach our goal of giving 10% away. 
I was working on my taxes a couple of weeks ago and calculated that I am now giving away 8% of my income.  I also realized that I had set up my online giving several years ago and had not increased it since.  The Lord is telling me that it is time to take another step in faith.  I trust that you have read the materials we sent home and prayed over your response.  Don’t listen to Satan, who might be telling you that you will not be able to afford your standard of living if you make a generous, intentional sacrificial gift.  He is lying if he tells you that the parish does not need your help, or that others will take care of it.  As the ministers of hospitality pass out the pledge cards, I will walk you through the process of making a commitment.   

No comments:

Post a Comment