Monday, December 2, 2019


FIRST SUNDAY OF ADVENT
1 DECEMBER 2019

          The Season of Advent prepares us to celebrate the first coming of the Lord at Christmas.  Advent invites us to prepare for his second coming at the end of time or at the end of our lives.  But Advent also makes us more aware of the ways in which the Lord comes to us now.  He comes to us in the Sacramental life of the Church, most especially in this Eucharist.  Sending us forth from this Mass, he remains with us in his risen presence throughout our daily lives, if only we open ourselves to that presence.
            The prophet Isaiah says that the Lord’s house shall be established as the highest mountain and raised above the hills.  We see that prophecy fulfilled in the Mystery of the first coming of Jesus Christ at Christmas and culminating in the Mystery of his death and resurrection at Easter.  He wants to establish his house as the highest mountain of our hearts.  Advent invites us to take a closer look at all the mountains of our hearts, all of those realities that are important to us.  Those mountains include our desire to ensure that we have adequate possessions, good jobs, good reputations, and that we provide for our families, among many other goods.  However, if we want the swords of our lives (cutting things apart) turned into plowshares and the spears (poking us at every side) turned into pruning hooks, then the highest mountain must be the presence of the risen Christ in our daily lives.  In preparing for him to come again, his presence cannot be one of many mountains that we acknowledge only on Sunday.  His presence must ultimately be the highest and most important in our lives.
            That is why the persistent pattern of prayer is so important.  People sometimes think that stewardship is about raising funds.  Because stewardship involves living as committed disciples, spending time in prayer is the first of the other two legs of stewardship:  service and sacrificial giving.  Please read the materials on the stewardship of prayer which we sent home (or pick up your packet in the Parish Life Center).  Be sure to join us on the next three Tuesday evenings for our communal Advent prayers.  Take one of the booklets at all of the doors to help with personal prayer.  Allow Advent to assist in renewing a persistent pattern of prayer.  If you don’t believe me, please listen to Stephanie Rucano as she explains how this has happened in her life.

                                                       The Stewardship of My Prayer

Thank you, Father Bill, for inviting me to share a little bit of my prayer journey.
I am happily married to wonderful man named Tony and have an amazing daughter named Camille.
Today, my relationship with our Heavenly Father is very intimate, but it was not always that way.
Prior to now, I was that lost sheep. I was a struggling mom trying to juggle life and do everything. So, it was rare that I’d attend mass or the sacraments. I was just too busy to go! My prayer life consisted of saying a prayer now and then if I needed answers immediately or before meals when I didn’t forget.
Shame and guilt were both weighing me down. I felt a nudge to go to confession, so I did. Then, I looked at the priest as I confessed my sins and saw the most amazing thing. It was Jesus Christ sitting before me. He said, “Your sins are forgiven, and you will be fine in your life-now go in Peace.” The moment I walked out I felt the weights lifted and my relationship with the Lord has been growing ever since.
I start and end my days with our Lord. Whether I’m driving somewhere, going to the gym, or attending daily mass I need to hear the Living Words. There seems to ALWAYS be a message for me that I need to hear to help balance my day.

As a Eucharistic minister during communion, I see Jesus in each one of your faces. After I’m done, I go back to my seat, kneel and pray for each one of you as my Brothers and Sisters in Christ.
Recently, I was showing a non-Catholic visitor around and we walked before the chapel and saw Jesus was displayed in adoration. I told her, “that is my Best Friend and he knows everything about me. It’s where I go and have a conversation with Him, and we are All invited.” I turned to look at her at that moment and she had tears rolling down her face. She said she could feel Him in her heart.
With a parish this size I have responded to his call to be with families as they grieve the loss of a loved one. The connection with these individual’s is truly a path I was intended to take guided by the Holy Spirit.
With the opportunities here at St Pius I ask you to accept the invitation, to help your prayer life grow and draw you closer to our Heavenly Father.
Looking up at the Good Shepherd, know that you will never be lost.
Take the path that was created for you, accepting all the Graces and Blessings along the way.
Thank you and God Bless.


No comments:

Post a Comment