Saturday, February 10, 2018


SIXTH SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME
11 FEBRUARY 2018

          The laws concerning skin diseases in the Book of Leviticus were designed to protect the community.  Because leprosy and other skin diseases were contagious, lepers were forced to rend their garments, declare that they were unclean, and stay away from contact with the community.  While these laws may have protected the community, they had terrible effects on the poor people suffering these ailments.  The leper who approaches Jesus not only suffers terrible physical pain, but he is completely alone.  Even worse, he is considered spiritually unclean.
            He breaks the Law of Moses by throwing himself at the feet of Jesus, because he trusts in the power of Jesus to heal him.  Seeing his faith and having pity on him, Jesus also breaks the Law of Moses and touches the leper.  Restored to health and intimacy with his family, the man spreads the good news of his healing to anyone he meets. 
            On this last Sunday before Lent, the Scriptures invite us to reflect on the way we have made ourselves lepers.  We become lepers when we fail to live our Baptismal Promises, when we separate ourselves from God or other people through our sins.  By embracing the disciplines of prayer, fasting, and almsgiving, we throw ourselves at the feet of Jesus and ask for healing.  That is why Lent provides a perfect opportunity to renew our stewardship of prayer, the most important of the three dynamics of stewardship.  Please listen carefully to Stephanie Allen, as she shares the ways in which prayer has transformed her life.

Stewardship of Prayer – SPX 2018

Thank you Fr. Bill/Eric.
Good Morning/Evening. My name is Stephanie Allen and my husband Dan and I have been parishioners of St. Pius for over 6 years and we have 4 little boys, ages 6,4,3 and 10 months. 
When I was asked about speaking today about the Stewardship of Prayer, my first thought was, how am I supposed to talk about Prayer when it can be such a deeply personal and different experience for everyone?  But then, I prayed about it.  And I felt God telling me that it was going to be just what I needed.  Witnessing about one’s prayer life is a scary thing.  Do I pray correctly? Do I pray enough? I got interrupted again, did that count?  As I go through my daily life, I am constantly interrupted.  As a stay at home mom of young kids, I rarely have a quiet moment, or a moment to myself.  I have had to adapt and modify my prayer life.  Where I used to be able to say a decade or more of the Rosary easily, I now can find myself saying “Hail Mary…” and stopping there.  I modified by downloading an app on my phone that prays the mysteries of the Rosary and I can pray along while driving, doing dishes, or folding laundry.  The mundane becomes sacred because I choose to make it so.  I am choosing to create these sacred moments so that my boys see and can hear me talk to God.  My goal as a wife and mother is to get my husband and our children to heaven.  Prayer is my tool to do that.
One thing I have consciously done in our house is to display some of our favorite scriptures in art.  To be surrounded in scripture makes it extremely difficult to forget God’s words.  My favorite verse hangs in my kitchen.  1 Thessalonians 5:17 tells us to “Pray Without Ceasing.”  To see this verse reminds me that even a quick, Come Holy Spirit, or Help me Lord, that I am praying.  I am speaking to God and I know whenever and however I talk to Him, He hears me. 
            The largest change I have noticed in my prayer life in the past several years, is on days that I do NOT pray, my day is more unraveled, less structured, angry thoughts and words have an easier time creeping into my head, and I have less focus and less patience.  When I get up and focus my morning with prayer, a short Morning Offering, a scripture reading, or sometime just  ‘Good Morning God, This is your Day’, my attitude, demeanor are more positive, my spirit is uplifted and I know that is God working within me.  God wants me to have a great day, and I need only ask Him to help me.
            Two of the most impactful moment of prayer for me came from when others were praying for me and I knew of their prayers.  The night before our wedding, Dan and I received a Spiritual Bouquet from friends and family, near and far, telling us how they would be praying for us on our wedding day.  Dan and I sat in the chapel reading these prayers and intentions and we could feel the Spirit of God come around us, blessing us and our marriage through the prayers being said for us.  The second came after the birth of our third son. Nicholas was born with some significant health issues and as soon as we were able, we started telling people and trying to explain what was going to happen.  We were both so overwhelmed with 2 other little boys and now a third that was going to need a lot more than a typical newborn.  Immediately people said, We’re praying for you.  They prayed and brought food, prayed and hugged us, prayed and watched our other boys, they prayed through masses and candles, and they prayed over a quilt as they made it so that I could hold it and pray along with them as Nicholas was in surgery.  Knowing so many people were praying for our family each time brought me such peace and comfort.  Prayer is an intimate moment and praying for others shows people how much you truly care and love them when you are willing to ask God to watch over and bless them.
            My prayer life is continually changing and adapting to my current stage of life.  Prayer can sometimes be hard.  It can be hard to find and make time for it, and it can feel awkward and uncomfortable when we’ve been away from it for a while. But Prayer is our direct connection to God.  He is always there waiting for us and will help us in our prayer life we just ask Him.







No comments:

Post a Comment