Sunday, May 15, 2016

PENTECOST SUNDAY
15 MAY 2016

          Toward the end of his papacy, Pope John Paul II did something unexpected and shocking to some.  He invited Bob Dylan to perform at a Eucharistic Conference in Bologna, Italy.  Many Catholics shook their heads at the thought of the Pope sharing the same stage as the “prophet of the counterculture.”  But, John Paul knew what he was doing.  He used Dylan’s song, “Blowing in the Wind,” as a common reference point to speak about the Holy Spirit.  The Pope said:  “A representative of yours just said on your behalf that the answer is ‘blowing in the wind.’  It is true!  But not in the wind which blows everything away in empty whirls, but the wind which is the breath and voice of the Spirit, a voice that calls and says: ‘come!’”
            Saint Luke describes the blowing of that wind in the Acts of the Apostles.  Reminiscent of the wind blowing over the chaos of creation in Genesis and the wind blowing around Mount Sinai when God entered into a covenant relationship with the people he had led out of slavery in Egypt, the Holy Spirit blows into that room where the disciples are gathered as a strong driving wind and tongues as of fire.  Then what had happened at the tower of Babel is reversed.  Instead being divided by different languages, everyone hears the disciples speak in their own language.  Emboldened by the presence of the Holy Spirit, those who are convinced of the Paschal Mystery of the death and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ proclaim the truth boldly and clearly. 
            That same Holy Spirit is given to us, who have spent forty days reflecting on the passion and death of the Lord and another fifty days basking in his resurrection and ascension.  We often associate the coming of the Holy Spirit into our lives as a gentle breeze, soothing our anxieties.  And sometimes the Holy Spirit does comfort us in our afflictions.  But the image of the strong driving wind reminds us that the Holy Spirit sometimes afflicts us in our comfort.  Fifteen years ago, I was going about in my comfortable and happy role as pastor of Saint Jude in Fort Wayne.  I was just entering into my fourteenth year when Bishop D’Arcy’s secretary called and set up an appointment for me to “chat” with him.  In that little “chat,” he told me that he was assigning me to become the first diocesan priest to be pastor of this rapidly growing parish in Granger.
            What does a normal person do when his world is turned upside down?  He goes for a bike ride!  At the time, I was working on my homily for Pentecost Sunday, trying to explain the image of the Holy Spirit as a dove.  The “chat” with the Bishop forced me to examine that image from a different perspective, because the dove wasn’t doing it for me.  I was furiously pedaling on the bike path along the Maumee River when I must have come to close to a nest of Canadian geese.  Two geese came at me like a strong driving wind, furiously nipping at my legs and my heels, forcing me to pedal as fast as possible.  This was the Holy Spirit blowing me out of my comfort zone through my promise to obey and respect the Bishop and pushing me into new territory!

            As we reflect together on the presence of the Holy Spirit comforting us in our afflictions, please look for the possibility that the Spirit may be afflicting you out of your comfort zone.  Saint Paul describes the Church as the Body of Christ, containing different gifts of the Holy Spirit given for the common good.  What is your gift?  How can you move out of your comfort zone to put it in humble service of our parish?  Maybe the Spirit is blowing in the wind of your life to take a step of faith in service to the community.  Next weekend, we will be invited to listen to a witness talk about stewardship of service and attend the ministry fair after Mass.  Saint Paul is correct.  We speak the same language of love when we work together as very different people with very different gifts to proclaim the Paschal Mystery with the example of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment