Saturday, October 3, 2015

PASTOR’S COLUMN
4 OCTOBER 2015

            Last year, I took a month away from Saint Pius to embark on a remarkable journey.  On the occasion of my fortieth year of priesthood, Bishop Rhoades gave me permission to join a group of fellow pilgrims to travel by bicycle the ancient Via Francigena from the British Canterbury Cathedral, where Saint Thomas Beckett was martyred to the Vatican Basilica of Saint Peter, built above the bones of Saint Peter.  It was intended to apply the lessons learned from the cycling pilgrimage to the common pilgrimage which all of us travel through life to the new and eternal Jerusalem.  The lessons were many.  We learned to work together.  We prayed together, shared food and drink, thanked God for our good health, and encouraged one another.  We learned how to handle adversity, difficult climbs through the Alps and Apennines, disagreements, and the inevitable tensions placed on a group traveling together.  More than anything else, we learned that no one (not the thieves who had stolen all our possessions) or nothing (including the unexpected difficulties) could rob us of the graces received on our 1,200- mile pilgrimage.
            There had been no grand plans for any pilgrimage this year.  Intending to continue to thank God for my good health, I tried to ignore the growing pain in my left leg.  Denial is a great thing!  However, doctors, health care workers, physical therapists, and friends who have the courage to tell the truth have a unique ability to attack this denial.  They gradually broke it down and convinced me that hip replacement surgery was necessary.  With dread and fear replacing the more comfortable denial, I saw my spiritual director just before surgery.  After hearing my Confession he advised me to look for the graces given by God in this upcoming ordeal.  Regarding his words as nice pious thoughts from a Jesuit who belongs to the same Religious Order as the Pope, I went under the knife and became a patient at Saint Joseph Medical Center instead of a pastor visiting his sick parishioners.
            Those who know me best would never use the word “patience” in the same sentence as my name!  But to my surprise, there have been more graces than I could have imagined.  I gained a new respect and admiration for doctors, nurses, and dedicated health care workers.  My siblings were there.  My sister, Janet, remained at my side instead of driving the van through narrow streets in Italian towns.  My retired brother, Ed, and his wife, Mary, who had regarded last year’s pilgrimage as a crazy venture, stayed with me as long as it took for me to maneuver on my own.  My roommates, FB2 and Steve Jagla, have been great.  The outpouring of love and support from our parish family has been overwhelming.  The cards sent by our grade school students lifted my spirits and made me laugh.  Jesus called it well in the Gospel of Saint Matthew when he said that those who sacrifice spouses and children for the sake of the Kingdom of God would receive more than they could ever imagine.  Days with nothing on my schedule except visits from the nurse and the physical terrorist provided time for reading, contemplation, and opportunities to follow Pope Francis on his remarkable visit.
            This unsolicited and unplanned pilgrimage has been grace-filled.  Unlike last year’s pilgrimage, I will not be away from my day job for a full month.  However, I hope to apply the lessons learned from this pilgrimage to my ministry as pastor of Saint Pius X.  More than anything else, this experience has taught me to be more compassionate to those who suffer.  Not many people have the opportunity to travel the Via Francigena by bicycle.  But every one of us has to travel the way of the cross.  May the Lord continue to teach me to be a better minister to those who are carrying their crosses!
           



No comments:

Post a Comment